Daocun villager hits gas in backyard, then……. strikes cigarette lighter to confirm
A local man in the village of Daocun was drilling for water when he noticed an overpowering smell of gas.
He’d sank a well 19 metres deep looking for a ready supply of fresh drinking water.
To confirm his suspicions that he had in fact struck natural gas he decided light his cigarette lighter. The resulting pillar of flame shot one metre out of the ground.
The well was quickly covered and fire extinguished. An examination by scientists from Haikou’s Fushan Oil Field confirmed the presence of low concentrations of natural gas.
It’s not the first such incident in the village, mid last year residents reported a gush of gas out of another well which turned the water black and had to be sealed.