Company: British Council, we support peace and prosperity by building connections, understanding and trust between people in the UK and countries worldwide.
We work directly with individuals to help them gain the skills, confidence and connections to transform their lives and shape a better world in partnership with the UK. We support them to build networks and explore creative ideas, to learn English, to get a high-quality education and to gain internationally recognised qualifications.
Working with people in over 200 countries and territories, we are on the ground in more than 100 countries. In 2021–22 we reached 650 million people.
Pay Band: 6 (from CNY 12,000 per month)
Location: Beijing, China
Contract Type: Fixed term contract (2 years)
Closing Date: Tuesday, 19 December 2023- 23:59 China Time (GMT +8)
The data engineer will support the data insight manager to develop the data warehouse. This involves creating and managing ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) settings, conducting routine team activities, as well as maintaining a Power BI data analysis platform. The main objective is to ensure that business insights are effectively and promptly delivered to the business management team.
Main accountabilities but not limited to the following:
• Develop data warehouses based on exams business workflow
• Improve the data structure, configuration, data processing efficiency of the existing data warehouse offering technical proficiency
• Conduct data processing to merge, refine, and convert data from diverse sources into the central data warehouse
• Trouble shoot any data flow issue for existing Power BI dashboards
• Contribute to innovative data products
• Knowledge management for developed services
Role specific knowledge and experience:
• Experience in business intelligence development and project work.
• Proven experience in database design and development, and skilled in SQL (Structured Query Language) language.
• Proven experience in ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes for efficient data extraction, transformation, and loading. Well-acquainted with prominent ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) tools such as SSIS (SQL Server Integration Services) and Kettle.
• Skilled in using advanced visualization tools. Power BI is preferred.
Role specific skills:
• Good sense of business and operation logic, good communication skill and teamwork spirit.
• Ability to drive issues to a robust closure in a timely manner.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Software Engineering, information management or statistics.
• Language: The British Council systems and global processes operate in English. Written and verbal proficiency in English is required.
• Condition of Employment:
Applications are welcomed from candidates currently in this location with a natural right to work.
Applications are also welcomed from candidates currently based in other British Council country offices. However, please note candidates must have a natural right to work in the country, on a permanent basis, as immigration clearance and/or on-going visa support is not provided by the British Council for this role. Relocation support is also not provided.
• Annual Leaves (on a pro-rata basis if the service period is less than one full year); public holidays
• Statutory benefits: national social insurance benefits and housing fund
• Other benefits: commercial insurance package including accidental insurance, life insurance, and supplementary medical insurance
• 13th month salary: staff who pass the probation and work for minimum of 6 months in a year will be entitled to annual bonus in December
• Performance-related pay: paid annually according to relevant performance review scheme
• Professional development opportunities
A connected and trusted UK in a more connected and trusted world.
Equality , Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI) Statement
The British Council is committed to policies and practices of equality, diversity and inclusion across everything we do. We support all staff to make sure their behaviour is consistent with this commitment. We want to address under representation and encourage applicants from under-represented groups, in particular, but not exclusively, on grounds of ethnicity and disability. All disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria are guaranteed an interview and we have Disability Confident Employer Status. We welcome discussions about specific requirements or adjustments to enable participation and engagement in our work and activities.
The British Council is committed to safeguarding children, young people and adults who we work with.
We believe that all children and adults everywhere in the world deserve to live in safe environments and have the right to be protected from all forms of abuse, maltreatment and exploitation as set out in article 19, UNCRC (United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child) 1989.
Appointment to positions where there is direct involvement with vulnerable groups will be dependent on thorough checks being completed; these will include qualification checks, reference checks, identity & criminal record checks in line with legal requirements and with the British Council’s Safeguarding policies for Adults and Children.
If you have any problems with your application please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Applications to this role can only be considered when made through the Apply section of our careers website. Our ‘ASK HR’ email is only to be used in case of a technical issue encountered when applying through the careers website. Emails with supporting statements and CV/Resumes sent to this email address will not be reviewed and will be deleted.