The Dragon Boat Festival holiday in 2023 will be from June 22nd (Thursday) to June 24th (Saturday). During this time, it’s expected that there will be a significant increase in traffic for city departures, city returns, and leisure shopping.
Before and after the festival, there will be a major peak in traffic departing the city and returning to the city, while during the festival itself, there will be a minor travel peak.
In order to ensure safe and smooth travel for citizens and tourists during the holiday, the Traffic Police Detachment of Haikou Public Security Bureau issued the following reminder for traffic and travel.
There will be peak traffic for entering and leaving the city before the festival, from 5 PM to 7 PM on June 21st (today, Wednesday), and as a result, there will be increased traffic pressure at the entrances and exits of the city. It is recommended to try to travel during off-peak hours to enter or leave the city.
Guoxing Avenue → Qiongzhou Bridge → Baiju Avenue
If there is heavy traffic on Guoxing Avenue, it is recommended for drivers to consider taking alternative routes:
1. You can take a detour by going through Longkun South Road → Xisha Road → Wanhua Road, Lan Tian Road to access the northern section of Guoxing Avenue.
2. You can take a detour by going through Longkun South Road → Haide Road, Huanhu Road → Hongchenghul Road to access the southern section of Guoxing Avenue.
If there is heavy traffic at the entrances and exits of Qiongzhou Bridge, it is recommended for drivers to consider alternative routes:
1. For the northern section of Qiongzhou Bridge (such as Haidian Island and Guomao area), you can take a detour by going through Wenming East Tunnel or Xindong Bridge → Jiangdong Avenue to reach Wenchang.
2. For the southern section of Qiongzhou Bridge (such as Qiongshan District), you can take a detour by going through Yehai Avenue → Baiju Avenue to reach Haiwen Expressway.
If there is heavy traffic on Baiju Avenue for entering or leaving the city, it is recommended for drivers to consider taking alternative routes. Drivers can take a detour by going through Yehai Avenue and then either taking Xinzhou Avenue or Qiongshan Avenue to reach Haiwen Expressway.
Haifu Road → Qiongzhou Avenue, Longkun North Road → Longkun South Road → Yingbin Avenue
1. You can take a detour by going through Wenming East Road, Haifu Yiheng Road extension, Meixiang East Road, and Meixiang Heng Road to travel to and from Binjiang Road.
2. You can take a detour by going through Binjiang Road and then taking Fengxiang East Road to reach the Eastern Expressway.
3. You can take a detour by going through Binjiang Road, then taking Haiyu Avenue and the S82 Airport Connector Road to reach the Eastern Expressway.
4. You can take a detour by going through Yehai Avenue, then taking the Yehai Interchange and the S81 Haikou Connector Road.
Haikou Section of the Eastern Expressway
If there is heavy traffic on the Eastern Expressway for entering or leaving the city, it is recommended for drivers to consider alternative routes:
1. You can take a detour by going through National Highway 223.
2. You can take a detour by going via Haiwen Expressway and then transitioning to Haiqiong Expressway.
3. You can take a detour by going via Haisan Expressway and then transitioning to Wanyang Expressway.
Congested Sections of Haixiu Expressway
During the evening rush hour, the west-to-east section of the Jinken Ramp on Haixiu Expressway experiences slow-moving traffic. The queue extends towards the Qiuhai Ramp, close to the Xiqiche West Station. It is recommended for vehicles heading from west to east on the expressway to take alternative routes such as Haisheng Road – Haixiu West Road, Binmao Road → Jinmao Road, or Haiken Road → Binyal Road to avoid the congested sections of the expressway.
During the Dragon Boat Festival period (June 22nd to 24th), many citizens will head to the West Coast, Baisha Men Coast, and Nandu River areas to participate in activities such as “washing the dragon water” and gathering at Evergreen Park and Century Park. The traffic and crowds will be dense. Therefore, it is advised that citizens choose public buses, ride-hailing services, or taxis for their transportation needs.
For those who choose to drive, please plan ahead and find suitable parking locations for your vehicles before proceeding to the activity areas on foot.
Holiday beach traffic guidance
During the Dragon Boat Festival in Haikou, one of the local customs is the tradition of “washing the dragon water” at holiday beach, (and adjacent beaches). During this time, many people will go to the beach for swimming and barbecuing, resulting in heavy traffic and crowds. The traffic police department will implement traffic control and guidance measures as necessary to manage the flow of vehicles.
1. Vehicle Parking Areas
We kindly ask all drivers to cooperate with the instructions and management of on-site police officers. Please park your vehicles at designated parking lots around the holiday beache such as the Holiday Beach Parking Lot, Guanhai Terrace Parking Lot, Xixiu Beach Park Parking Lot, or temporary parking areas on the south side of the attractions, including Yongwan Road, Changxiu Road, Lancheng Avenue, Hexie Road, Changhai Road (west side), Changtong Road, and Changan Road. Parking is prohibited on Changyi Road.
2. Tips for Avoiding Congested Routes
(1) If there is heavy traffic on Binhai Avenue in the West Coast area, it is recommended for vehicles to take alternative routes by going through Haixiu Expressway, Haisheng Road – Haixiu West Road, or Nanhai Avenue for their travel.
(2) For vehicles passing through large trucks, it is advised to take alternative routes by going through Nanhai Avenue, Haigang Road, and Yuehai Avenue for entering or leaving the port.
Traffic Guidance for Tian kong zhi shan (Sky Mountain)
The “Tian kong zhi shan” scenic spot is a popular tourist attraction in Haikou. During the festival period, there will be a high influx of visitors during the twilight hours (from 17:00 to 20:00). As a result, there will be increased traffic on the Century Bridge and Haidian Wuxi Road, leading to slow-moving vehicles. Additionally, parking spaces in the vicinity will be limited, making traffic flow challenging.
We advise people heading to the event location to consider walking short distances, using public transportation, or finding proper parking spaces. It is strictly prohibited to park illegally on the roadside. For those passing through the aforementioned areas, you can consider taking alternative routes via Renmin Bridge, Heping Bridge, or Bihai Avenue.
Traffic Guidance for Baisha Men Creative Market
Baisha Men Creative Market is one of the popular night markets in Haikou. During the holiday period, there will be an increase in both traffic and pedestrians, leading to limited parking spaces in the surrounding areas. We kindly ask citizens to consider using public transportation, ride-hailing services, or taxis for their transportation needs. For those who choose to drive, please plan ahead and find suitable parking locations for your vehicles before proceeding to the event venue on foot.
Century Avenue, Haidian Sixth Road, Haishun Road, and other surrounding roads may implement traffic control measures based on the traffic flow. We request drivers to comply with the instructions given by on-site traffic police officers.
Traffic Guidance for Key Business Districts
1. Jilong Road, Friendship Sunshine City is one of the popular business districts where there is a peak in customer traffic, usually in the afternoon to evening. During the festival period, the road section in front of this shopping mall is prone to congestion. If the westbound traffic extends to the intersection of Longhua Road and Longkun North Road, we advise drivers to take a detour by going through Haixiu Road or Guomao Road → Jinmao Road to avoid exacerbating the congestion and minimize inconvenience to personal travel.
2. During the festival period, there will be an increase in both vehicle and pedestrian traffic on the road section in front of CR Vanguard Wansheng Plaza on Jinmao East Road, leading to increased traffic pressure. We recommend that citizens heading to Wansheng Plaza, consider walking short distances or using public transportation. It is important to park vehicles in designated areas and strictly refrain from illegal parking on the roadside. For vehicles passing through Jinmao East Road, an alternative route can be taken via Binhai Avenue or Guomao Road.
3. The surrounding roads of Jinzonglv Plaza on Jiefang West Road experience high pedestrian flow and have narrow roadways, resulting in slow-moving vehicles with traffic congestion extending to Longhua Road. We advise citizens heading to the Jiefang West Road business district to consider walking short distances, using public transportation, or parking their vehicles in nearby parking lots and then proceeding to the business district on foot. This will help avoid exacerbating congestion and minimize inconvenience to personal travel.
Wishing everyone a safe and healthy Dragon Boat Festival.
Stay safe during your travels!
Related article: Discover the Ultimate Hong Kong to Sanya Cruise Experience
If you would like to make a comment, compliment or complaint about any aspect of living or working in Hainan Island, we’d love to hear from you. We pass all communications on to the relevant services. Please keep it polite and to the point.